Coinbase Pro will be implementing a new slew of changes to improve the health of the cryptocurrency market. This will be done to improve the liquidity and better price discovery for trades.
Most notably, Coinbase Pro will be removing 0 percent maker fees and stop market orders. Full list of changes include:
- New fee structure that is designed to increase liquidity by reducing the delta between maker and taker fees
- Updated order maximums designed to help protect customers from large price movements
- New order increment (“tick”) sizes aimed at improving market structure
- Turning off stop market orders
- Adding market order protection points
Here is screenshot of new maker fees.
Before you start blaming Coinbase Pro for their maker fees, keep in mind that 0.15% is still far better than the 1% Gemini charges. New base maker fee (up to $100k/month volume) is 0.15%, with a taker fee of 0.25%. So they raised the maker fee by 0.15% from 0% and only skimmed 0.05% off the taker fee.
Removing stop orders and limiting market orders to not move the price more than 10% seems like it’s aimed at limiting volatility, but at the same time, people are probably not going to like going to sleep with open orders and no stop losses.